Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Weight Loss (Without Much Effort)

Now, I am no weight loss guru by any means. I am far from a healthy being in general, but that comes with my nerdy territory. Over the last few months (maybe weeks, I really have not paid much attention), I have managed to lose 13 pounds. I am pretty happy about this, but I haven't put a lot of effort into anything. At least, I will explain what I have been doing.

The first thing I did was cut back on my portions. I no longer go for seconds, unless I am absolutely starving. I have not cut back on what food I eat, which I really want to do. I am quite tired of pizza...I just wish I did not like it so much. The portion control helped, and cutting out snacks after 8 PM has added to that.

The biggest problem I have with snacking is, I just get bored and convince myself that I am hungry. Last night, for example, I was just watching tv and I got bored. So I went into the kitchen and was looking at cookies and other snacks, when I realized I really did not want any of them. I went over to the table and grabbed an apple instead. It actually hit the spot and I felt better for choosing the apple over a cookie.

The point is, I am 25 now, I am not 15. I need to start eating like an adult, and not some teenage garbage disposal. At 15 I weighed around 120 pounds, and I could eat anything in any quantity. After I hit 19, the weight gain started, especially since my diet did not change. I was still a kid, even if I was considered an adult, and I did not want to put much effort into watching what I ate. Of course, I have been paying for that even since. I am using different notches on my belt now,
and I do not cringe so much when I see myself in the mirror with no shirt on. It is probably in my best interest that I never like beer, because then I would really hate my gut.

My next goal, is to start some form of exercise, with the ambition to tone up and get in better health. For the last three weeks or so, I have been stretching at night. This is more for my lower back pains than anything, but it still is a form of activity. Hopefully I can start heading to the fancy gym attached to the high school I went to with my friend Chris. I need to do something, and since Kat and I are at my parents, it is not like I have a lot of things to keep me busy. It would be nice to have some home projects to do...but alas I will be waiting a while on that.

Kat and I have decided to not get cable tv when we do get a house. We are going to just stick with watching programs online or watch movies. We will probably get NetFlix which should help. I have a bad problem with channel surfing, and when I should be doing something useful or going to bed, I will channel surf. It is a habit I have always had. Which is why we do not want a tv in the bed room. We can still watch shows we want to watch, but we do not have to get sucked into to all the other BS you pay for when you get a television subscription to whatever.

On one last note, I will keep everyone (the two of you who read this blog :) posted about the house as I get information. Unfortunately, I doubt I hear anything this week or next.

1 comment:

KittyMarie said...

I'm so proud of my skinny mini:) I never ever have cringed when I looked at you - I think you're perfect, but I admire the steps you're taking to better your health. Me, on the other hand...the fudge...it calls to me... ;-)

Keep it up, handsome, and take me along for the ride :)